1. Remember that puppies sleep a lot, much like newborn babies.
2. Puppies don't eat a lot, but they do eat often. Therefore, it is important to have food and water accessible to your puppy at all times. This will prevent him/her from going into sugar shock. It is also important that they are only exposed to a small area until they get used to their new surroundings. This will ensure that your puppy always knows where his/her food and water is.
3. By the time your puppy is ready to go to your home (8 weeks), he/she will be on solid food. It is important to your puppy's dental hygiene to have dry dog food. We recommend Diamond Puppy or Eukanuba.To find a Diamond Puppy retailer go to http://www.diamondpet.com/where-to-buy/, or to find an Eukanuba retailer go to http://www.eukanuba.com/.
4. Keeping your puppy clean is important. I recommend not bathing your puppy more than once a week. Once every two weeks is actually better if you can wait that long. Just watch that his/her skin and hair doesn't get dry.
5. It is especially important on puppies with long hair to keep the hair on their rear-end clean. If bathing isn't enough, you should probably clip it.
6. Provide lots of chew toys for your puppy. They love rope toys, toys with squeakers, and soft toys to sleep with. Examine all toys to make sure they are durable enough to be chewed without coming apart.
8. When is it time to spay or neuter your puppy? Our veterinarian recommends any time after 6 weeks of age to spay or neuter. For your little boy it is important to have him neutered before he begins hiking his leg to pee. Having him neutered will help prevent that nasty habit. As far as your little girl is concerned it isn't as much of a necessity to spay as early. I have heard many theories about when little girls should be spayed Our veterinarian informs me that there have been studies done, and there are no harmful effects of having little girls spayed early. The good news is that we are offering to have our veterinarian neuter or spay your puppy before we send him/her home to you for only an additional $125. This includes microchipping. Please let us know if this is something you would like to have done so that we can schedule an appointment.
"Our puppies are top of the hill!"
Copyright 2011 Mooney Dogwood Hills Farm: Dachshund Puppies for Sale. All Rights Reserved.
33768 Kensington Ln., Richland, MO 65556